That depends on which content strategist you ask.
Big agencies will probably answer with a 12-page contract that talks about planning your editorial calendar, writing your content, managing your social media accounts, etc.
That’s not the kind of content strategist I am. (Well, I may write content for you, but we’ll cross that bridge when we come to it.)
I’m the person at the back of the meeting room, waving my hand and asking, “But what about…” while everyone else is clapping and cheering.
I’m the outsider who points out that you’re writing content for people who do what you do rather than for people who buy what you do.
Or that you’ve been so blinded by the curse of knowledge that the people you’re trying to target won’t know what the heck you’re talking about.
So my approach to being a content strategist is to:
- Bring you back down to earth when you assume your audience knows more than you do
- Remind you that writing for people who do what you do (instead of people who sell what you do) doesn’t do anything but help your competitors
- Help you identify what you want people to think, do, or feel after reading your content
- Figure out the best places to promote your content
- Give you feedback on your existing website content
- Point out any high-level legal/regulatory problems and suggest you consult an expert (I’m not a lawyer and am not qualified to advise you on compliance issues)
And anything else that comes up.
There were so many times when I was setting up my content marketing business that I wished I could just pick somebody’s brain for an hour or so. I didn’t want to take a course or sign up for a subscription service; I just wanted to get ask a few questions, get some expert answers, and be on my way.
But I couldn’t find anything like that, and I figured I couldn’t be the only one who was looking. So I decided to fill that need by offering on-demand phone consulting at hourly rates. We can talk for an hour or for as long as you like (I can talk about content strategy all day!) If you’d like to set up a consult or just have a few questions, please email me at [email protected].